Constructed in 1926, the building was actually 2 seperate structures joined by a 20 ft arcade. It was then named the Valencia Hotel & Arcade, then the El Vernon Hotel. It has been known as the El Patio Hotel since 1948.
The only remaining rural church in southern Sarasota County from the 1910s, Johnson Chapel was built as the Osprey Missionary Baptist Church in 1915 by Bertha Potter Palmer. It was moved to its present site in 1947.
The building was designed for 5 apartments on the 2nd floor. The original tenant of the 1st floor retail space was Venice Pharmacy, Inc. By 1928, the Peninsula Telephone Co. operated its switchboard from a rear store front.